Tuesday, September 07, 2010

September, back to school!

September still has this very special meaning to me. I don't have kids but the work I do gets into it's steady shedule again once September is there and I like having a regular shedule. I used to love going back to school. New books, fresh paper, tons of new stuff to learn. Of course the older I got the faster I got bored with school again, but I still miss the learning of new stuff. I love information and learning new things. Some friends start new stuff in September and I've been thinking of a new thing to learn every September.

Well, this by accident comes together with the 4 Ounce Challenge put together by a few of my favourite dyers. The challenge is to design projects which use only 4oz of handspun yarn (or less). Though I've been getting double doses from most fiber clubs for a while now, I remember the dilemma of having only 4oz and not knowing what to do with the fiber. I still have to spin my first proper sock yarn, and apart from that I haven't knitted much with only 4oz of handspun.

So the challenge is really appreciated, I think many spinners with me are looking for more patterns to go with handspun. So I wanted to design a few quite flexible patterns. It's not always easy to spin the exact yarn you want (well, not for me at least) but in the end if you spun a yarn for a project you really do want to use it for the project even if you don't have the expected yardage.

The big challenge (and so my first real "new learning" for September) will be of course writing up the patterns! I am a bit scared of this as I always have high standards for myself and I want the perfect patterns even though I don't have the money to spend on expensive writing programs some use for this. Another problem will be getting some good pictures of the yarns. So all in all it's big thing for me to start with!

The first project is actually finished. I don't want to show the finished project yet, but here is the yarn I spun for it :


Hidden

It's 100% BFL in the colourway Hidden, dyed by Amy of Spunky Eclectic. It's not as even as I had hoped for and less yardage, but it worked out fine with the pattern I had in mind so it's actually perfectly what I wanted!

Hunkered - fiber
(Hunkered, 100% SAF dyed by Adrian of Hello Yarn)

The second yarn is spun as well, and the third is started. I casted on the second project last night and I am quite excited. I hope to have some spinning time tonight (there's a soccer game on television so not much to watch for me). All this stuff needs to be done by the end of September to count for the challenge.

There's more to post, but I'll keep that for a following post. I've been neglecting the blog again, so I need to pick up!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger katarinaw said...

I know exactly what you mean about starting the new term in autumn! To me, that's when the new year begun!

And just as you describe, even though I finished school many years ago, I still get that "back to school feeling" at the end of every summer.

I also loved having new pencils and notebooks and waxy paper to put around the covers of the new school books...

Perhaps I should become a teacher so that I can experience all of that again... Or not, I would probably not be a good teacher, I'd just let the children draw pictures with crayons all day long and read aloud from my favourite books. They'd be bored stiff.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home